Friday, October 16, 2009

"I'm not giving up my last penny!"

I'm back with another question from my teacher! Did you miss me?


Here's the thought provoking question of the week: "Do you believe Christians should tithe? If so, at what level or percentage? If you're so inclined to respond...do you tithe?"


The answer to this question seems simple, but in all reality, it is one that has been argued over since the beginning of time. In the Old Testament, the Bible talks about giving away a tenth of your earnings over the whole year.


Leviticus 27:30-32 says, "A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD. If a man redeems any of his tithe, he must add a fifth of the value to it. The entire tithe of the herd and flock -- every tenth animal that passes under the shepherd's rod -- will be holy to the LORD."


Deuteronomy 14:22-23 says, "Be sure to set aside a tenth of all the your fields produce each year. Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always."


I have a memory from when I was about 13 and my parents were first encouraging me to tithe my babysitting money. I was always so frustrated to give up such a big chunk of my money, but I when I did, I got such a good feeling. One time in particular, I had to give a pretty big amount from cumulative earnings. The very same day, I got a babysitting job that payed more than twice the amount I had given to the church that morning. I can't help but think that God was showing me that by being willing to give up my money to Him in obedience, that He was rewarding me and encouraging me to do it again. He does provide.


Granted, life doesn't always happen that way. More often then not, people have to scrape their pockets just to get by with the never-ending bills piling onto the kitchen table.


Right now, as a college student who is the youngest of four at a private school, I am a penny pincher. It is hard to make myself dish out more money than I have to because my paycheck goes straight to school or food. I do make sure that each month I donate money to a charity called "The Mocha Club" (https://www.mochaclub.org/). It is a charity designed to help those in Africa who need fresh water and medical supplies. All you have to do is give up the price of two Mochas a month, or $7. The one problem with this way of tithing is that each month that $7 is taken automatically from my bank account.


So is it really like I am tithing at all? I often forget that I am donating to the charity. It's quick, it's painless, and I don't miss that $7.


There is a story in the Mark 12:41-44 where Jesus gives an example of the correct way to tithe. He is watching people make their way to give their money to the temple treasury. Up saunter a few rich men, who look around to make sure people are watching as they toss in their large money bags.



From the side corner a woman dressed in rags walks quietly up to the treasury and gently gives up two small coins worth just a small fraction of a penny.


Jesus calls his disciples to him and says, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all others. They out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything -- all she had to live on."


Please don't get me wrong. While I believe that we should tithe, I do NOT think that we need to be legalistic about it. Tithing is not an issue of money, but instead it is a heart issue. We have to be willing to give God back what he gave to us. 


So while I "tithe" every month, I am not really giving out of my heart. Sure, I want to help people in Africa have clean water so they can stay healthy, but I can't just let myself be a passive tither. 


What do you think about tithing?






1 comment:

  1. While tithing is a heart issue, heart issues, to be "real," have to have an outlet. Which is why, I think, God wants us—commands us—to give to Him a tithe. He speaks several times about "robbing" Him of the tithe.

    If students can't make tithing a part of their lifestyles now, what makes you think it will happen later?
    Mike

    ReplyDelete