Sunday, October 4, 2009

"Ahh to be young and in love"

So here's a question for all of you out there, courtesy of my Web Writing and Production teacher. 


"What would your parents or other family members say if you brought home a person from a different race than yours and said you were in love with that person and thinking about marrying him or her?"


Honest to goodness, my parents would treat him like just any other guy. Sure, my dad might grill him a teensy bit. You know, nothing serious... maybe get out the shotgun and clean it. My mom of course would want to find out his favorite food so she could feed him and make him feel at home. 


But race wouldn't be an issue.


The biggest issue for my parents would be his beliefs. They would make sure that both of us believed in the same thing. Because without the same foundation, it is mighty hard to make a relationship work.


My parents might sit me down and make sure I am aware that with a different race also comes a few cultural differences, or that some people might criticize us for our relationship. But my parents would never say, "Emily, this boy is a different color than you! What are you thinking!"


Part of it might be that my parents worked with international students for 25 years. I think most of it comes from their wisdom and their acceptance of others. 


How would you parents react?


1 comment:

  1. Nice, practical parents. Thanks for sharing! The fact that they worked with international students for so long do doubt shades their attitude.

    ReplyDelete